The impossible journey of a madman through Final Fantasies I to IX. What is this?

  Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Characters

One month later...

Well, I'm finally a little more moved in so I hooked up my Playstation again. Hopefully I'll get some real playing time in soon.

The first decision I had to make was what party to have. There are 6 classes available to the player in Final Fantasy, each with advantages and disadvantages. They are: Warrior (Fighter), Theif, Monk (Black Belt), White Mage, Black Mage, and Red Mage. You can make a party of any combination of these classes that you want. I had toyed with the idea of going with a really "off" party, like 4 of the same class or something else just as odd. But when I thought more I decided that I am in this to have fun and get some nostalgia (and maybe give some to my readers), not create a new (and possibly greater) challenge for myself. So I decided on the classic Fighter, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage. What a surprise when I got to the party selection screen to find that this is the default party. Well, that was easy.

The next decision was for the names of each character. I wanted to think of something clever for each of them and have them a coherant group. Unfortunately that didn't really happen. I didn't want to go with "Fighter", "Thief", etc. I thought about characters from (fantasy) books I like, Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance (for a bonus feeling of nostalgia), Wheel of Time, etc. But I didn't like that either. In the end I threw up my arms and chose the four ghosts' nicknames from Pac-Man. Each of the names seemed to fit kind of well with the characters so I went with it. Clyde is the Fighter, Blinky is the Thief, Pinky is the White Mage, and Inky is the Black Mage.

Here's the menu screen as everyone is starting out, standing right outside of the first city and castle, about to go and see the king.



2 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Steve Eck said...

I like the character names!

Although Raistlin/Tanis/Sturm/etc would have definitely had more nostalgia appeal.

I'm a little concerned at the pace so far though, a month and you progressed from the title screen through picking your (default!) party.

Maybe you are just stalling for time, so FF3 is released in the US? :)

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Brenden Johnson said...

Yeah, I had thought of Sturm, Tas, Goldmn (Goldmoon, that barbarian(?) cleric) and Raist.

I'm hoping that the pace will be picked up here pretty soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home